Thursday, February 10, 2011

Where Is Lexy Kresl?

With all the hype around Nike sponsored Saint Mary's, who was ranked as high as #7 in Powerade/ESPN Fab 50, Pinnacle's run at a state title in 5AII with arguably the most offensively talented team assembled this year, Chandler's talent and new transfer Simone Westbrook, the MLK match-ups - Mesa Mt. View v Highland, & Hamilton v Chandler, and Xavier's young talent and senior leadership, one might pose the question, "where is Lexy Kresl?".  Since Lexy signed her NLI to play for the Univesity of Colorado Buffs, one might think that last year's Arizona scoring leader fell off into relative obscurity.  Nothing could be further from the truth. She is currently averaging 25 ppg, 14 rpg, 7 apg, & 7 spg.  With the departure of Michelle Spray and Kayla Robinson no one knew what to expect from last years 4AI state champions.  Well, Kresl has led another group of young ladies to a 25-3 record, one loss coming to 5AII state hopeful, Horizon Huskies.  They split their series with region opponents Apollo and Prescott, and might still be considered a favorite to repeat. 
Kresl's stats are solid.  She gives you everything in every aspect of the game.  I've been fortunate to know Kresl since before she ever played a game of varsity high school basketball.  What I can tell you is that she is arguably, if the not, the hardest working female basketball player in the state of Arizona.  Where this work-ethic stems from is a strong desire and extreme dedication to goals she has long set for herself in her youth.  It's this vision that has moved her, kept her focused, making countless sacrifices and spending numerous hours in the gym.  She made up her mind to set out and accomplish the things she has on the basketball court.  When most young kids her age are hanging out to be seen in the hottest spots, sheltered in their homes with the latest gaming console, or internet socializing, Lexy is somewhere getting it done.  Besides the mandatory time she puts in with either her high school or club team, she runs on her own for extra conditioning.  She trains with her club coach Gregory Strickling on days off, or gets to a nearby sports club to put up additional shots.  She might not be the most orthodox of players but she has been handed unique situations that have forced her to conform to a certain skill set that allows her to be an impact for her teams.  She has conformed while learning on the go, on the floor, being made a leader early in her career.  When I think of Lexi and her ability, in my mind I relate it to being a chameleon of a player.  She has adapted her game and style to her goals, her team, and the most direct objective of any competitor, to win.  She never wavered or compromised her dreams to that of her skill level or ability but rather the other way around.  So with that in mind I set out to ask her a few questions to get her perspective on matters. 
  • TRIFECTABASKETBALL:  "What sets you apart from the pack?"
  • LK: "Well, I don't follow the pack, so I guess that's a good start. I don't care if someone trys to hold me back or thinks it odd how determined I am to succeed. I don't try to blend in and I believe that has helped me not only in basketball but in general."
  • TRIFECTABASKETBALL:" What are your goals for the spring and summer to prepare yourself for a successful college career?"
  • LK: "This spring and summer I plan to work harder than I ever have before. I know that is the biggest mistake many make after signing to a program, they think they already have it made. I want to be conditioned, both physically and mentally, before going to Colorado and I plan to work on scoring in multiple ways, more effectively, as my main job will be just that. I want to prepare myself so that when I arrive no one questions if I should be there, and I don't want to be surprised by the workload or effort I will have to endure."
  • TRIFECTABASKETBALL:  "How do you see yourself as a leader not just on the basketball court but in the community and as a mentor for younger athletes?"
  • LK: "I've never really taken to being a verbal leader but instead I lead more by example. Typically, if I set the tone I can get others to follow, and have really improved my ability to push my teammates in the past year. Also, if you perform well you gain respect. When you have that respect your teammates willingly comply. Although I don't have much time outside of basketball, I try to help. I am involved with my church, multiple clubs at school, and various organizations that benefit others. My goal in life is to inspire people, which I assume will derive from my leadership and basketball abilities. If anything I do influences younger athletes in a positive way, I consider that a success."
  • TRIFECTABASKETBALL:  "What three things would you demand young players that want to follow in your footsteps of playing DI basketball?"
  • LK:  
  1. "determination to succeed, absolutely nothing can stop you"
  2. "sacrifice,  you have to give up many "fun" opportunities to make it"
  3. "desire to win (love for the game), if you don't enjoy it you'll never make it"

High School:  Shadow Mountain HS, Phoenix, AZ
Position:  shooting guard
Coach:  Gerrard Carmichael, 602-300-8506, carmicge1@aol.com

Player accomplishments:(you can put your own info also):  Freshman: 2nd team all region, hon mention all state, 13 ppg, sophomore:  1st team all region, hon mention all state, 16 ppg, Junior:  1st team all region, Metro player of year, 1st team all state, All Arizona, ESPN Rise all american, 4A1 state champs/MVP, 27.6ppg, Senior year: Wendy's Heisman Arizona winner, McDonald's All American nominee, as of 1/1/11 24ppg, 12 reb pg, 4A1 3pt champion.

What about this individual warrants......(this is solely your opinion or gives you a chance to add any additional information that you think should be known)

Community involvement: National Honor Society(3 yrs), Society of Women Scholars(4 yrs), Club impact (3 years), Students Supporting Brain Tumor Research(7 yrs), Principles Advisory Committee(1 yr), Key Club(3 years), Volunteer at church with youth groups/vacation bible school and arts camp(4 yrs), Pep Assembly MC/coordinator(Sr. year), Youth basketball camp volunteer(4 yrs)



1 comment:

  1. Just reminiscing; here is Lexy's 8th grade club team AZ BEST: Whitney Southerland (Morgan State), Bianca Belthazzar (LB State), Aley Rohde (UofA), Simone Westbrook (verballed ASU), Rodreka Rogers (2012 DI prospect)
    CAN SOMEONE HELP ME OUT WITH THE REST.

    ReplyDelete